Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Naughty Children

As we all try to do our best and make our way to the temple, life gets harder. Little things happen all around us and sometimes it can bring out the worst in you.
Kids are no exception. Our kids are fairly well behaved. They are however kids, and they were brought up in a semi-chaotic household. I mean I was a Navy Wife for 10 years... and I did my best, but it's not easy being a "single parent" for 90% of your marriage. It didn't help that their dad was always coming and going and doesn't have much patience.

But as usual, I'm rambling and getting off subject. *sigh*

So, our kids are for the most part, decent children. I can't complain too much. They really can be sweet. They can also act like little hellions and I wonder how could I, Miss Calm and Positive, have such rowdy little children? Then I remember that they have a father. *Big Evil Grin*

Lately, they have seemed a bit out of control. We have our usual battles of "I don't want to go to bed" Whininess, but it's but amplified the last 2 weeks. It's mainly the girls, Jeremy is knocked out by a sleeping pill. (don't judge me, it's Dr. prescribed and he desperately needs it for more than one reason)

Anyway, the girls share a room and they stay up laughing, talking, fighting, playing, etc. Tristan is 9 and she is our most responsible child. However, she constantly blames it on her little 5 year old sister, Jessica. "But Jessica was tickling me, but Jessica was talking to me, but......." This also happens when it comes time to clean their rooms. Jessica will say "But Tristan's not helping me clean." Tristan will say "But I didn't make the mess. I already cleaned up everything that is mine." HA! I try to have Tristan supervise Jessie and step her through what to clean up. I tell her that along the way she may be surprised to find something that she didn't realize was hers (hiding under Jessie's things) and she can put it away. I can actually SEE that there are clothes of hers, dirty towels, cups, etc.

It's frustrating.. they can't find anything and they wonder why. Whenever I wash clothes... I often feel that I'm washing clean clothes that they were too lazy to put away, so they stuck in the dirty clothes bin. That thing fills up daily! Jeremy is guilty of that as well.

So again, lately it just seems like they are listening less and less.. things that they were getting better at, they're slipping. They are fighting a lot more.

Last night I was drifting off to sleep only to be awoken by 2 noisy girls. They are now grounded from TV, Computer/Laptop and Wii!

Funny thing is though, that they are aware. The other day Jeremy did something or said something that wasn't very nice. Tristan said "We're going to the temple soon, I really don't think you should be doing that."

Jeremy has told me a few times... "Mom, I have the Holy Ghost now, I wouldn't do that!"

4 comments:

  1. I remember these times very well. It seemed that is what took us 6 years to finally get there. We had influences coming from all directions.

    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It always seems so bad at the time, and then as you talk about it, or blog it, it seems so silly or not such a big deal.

    I have a hard time getting my 5 year old to help clean up. Well last night I told both of my girls to clean off the kitchen table and unload the dishwasher. I was shocked and so happy when I saw the table was 100% cleaned off. Jessica proudly came to me and said, "Did I do a good job, mommy?" I said "yes!" and gave her to hi-5's and a thumbs up! I asked Tristan if she got the dishes put away... "Uh, not all of them." This morning I noticed the latch was still closed. She didn't even open the dishwasher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, Satan is definitely going to do all he can to keep you from the temple Saturday. Like try to convince you that you don't want to be tied to your kids forever after all! I have a hard time getting any of my kids to help clean up. One suggestion I do have, though, is to put your 5 year old to bed half an hour earlier than your older daughter. I have started doing that with my twins so the one is asleep before I put the other to bed. That way they don't keep each other up playing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just think it's awful that he would prey on our kids! I've been trying to let them know, so they are aware.

    Both girls can't sleep without the other. Jessica spent the night at John's mom's on Sunday and Tristan ended up sleeping in our room.

    I need to work on it though... I get lazy and just want to spend time with John and we "send" the kids to bed.. when they really could use a routine. I need to get back into the swing of things. In that aspect, I was better when I was a "single" parent.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I'll try to return the favor.

Slideshow