Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Flowers in the Attic

I believe my brother gave me the book Flowers in the Attic when I was around 10 or 11. I remember reading it and loving it.

YEARS later (2 weeks ago), I picked up the movie at the library. Yesterday I watched it with my children. Wow. What a crazy 80's movie. My kids didn't really like it, but they watched the whole thing with me I don't remember how true to the book it was. (I just looked it up and it was pretty close, it hinted to some things that I'm glad it didn't show in more detail. Reading about it, I'm quite surprised that I read it and liked it at such a young age. It seems like it would be for an older audience, but then again I was quite mature for my age.  It also makes me wonder why my brother gave me the book.)  The movie was quite interesting in a very weird way. I don't dare give anything away, but here's the description on Netflix:

This haunting suspense thriller is based on the acclaimed novel by V.C. Andrews. After a tragic accident leaves them fatherless, four children return to their mother's mysterious family mansion in hopes of an inheritance. Instead, they are imprisoned and abandoned by their evil grandmother, leaving them to survive a nightmare of cruelty, forbidden passion and a final shocking discovery that will shatter their innocence forever.




Update- I am such a dork!!! It was not Flowers in the Attic that I read, it was Behind the Attic Wall about dolls in the attic. Now I need to find it and read it with my kids.

2 comments:

  1. I read that book when I was around the same age and really liked it too. It actually has a couple of other books that came after it. I can't remember their names but I think one of them was Petals on the Wind or something like that.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I'll try to return the favor.

Slideshow