Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Thank you Vets and current Military!







I wish I had something profound to say on Veteran's Day. I will try my best. First I want to say that I think all veterans should get Veteran's Day off with double pay!

I am thankful to all military;, previous, current or future. For those that don't know, my husband is a veteran, disabled even. Not in a profound way, not because of war, but he is a disabled vet. I am grateful for all the benefits, services, etc. offered to veterans!

My husband was in the Navy for 10 years and 2 months. He went on 4 deployments. He missed our 2nd daughter's birth while on his 1st deployment. His ship (USS Shiloh) was one of the 1st ships out and back during this current on-going war. They were the 1st (or at least one of) to shoot off missiles. That deployment went from a 6 month to a record-breaking 10 month deployment. I got the call Christmas Eve I believe, that they were not headed home in January, they were going back, indefinitely. I know that the sailors are safer than the soldiers, but that was a hard time for me. I was constantly worrying and watching the news. It was a wonderful feeling to stand on the pier when his ship finally pulled back into port in San Diego. There were many news reporters and photographers there that day. We were surprised and thrilled to see a picture of my husband and son on the front page of the LA times (and in other newspapers) the next day. We later found many other pictures of them and even hubby and me in other newspapers and online. Very proud moments. 9 months later, Jessica was born. Probably one of the 1st post-war babies. Although the war was not over.

John lost one of his great captains on September 11th. Robort Dolan was the captain of his 1st ship, the USS John Hancock. He was working in the Pentagon on the 1st floor. That really hit home. I think a lot of our military know it could happen, but when you find yourself in a war and actually know people who have died in that war, it is far too real.

I am so proud of my husband and all he has done for our country and for our family. We started out as a young couple out of a high school with a baby. We did not have a lot of money, and really struggled. Because of the Navy, we have a house, we have 3 cars (they may not always run, but we have them), we have a better relationship. With each deployment, we became stronger and closer. We were able to reconnect and almost start over each time we saw each other after being separated. We appreciate each other more. It's made us both strong in ways we never imagined. We have memories to last a lifetime.

Thank you John and all of our other military!

P.S. I got a little teary-eyed remembering some of that. Those proud moments really stay with you. If you're a military spouse, parent, or child, you know what I mean!


Pictures include: John meeting Tristan for the 1st time. (she was 3 months old) He had just returned home from his 1st deployment. (USS John Hancock Mayport Florida) Someone took that picture of us. They said, "You are such a cute little Military family. Can we take your picture?" I am so thankful, because they captured that moment for us. I wasn't taking as many pictures back then for some reason. We were even lucky that they were able to find us later to give us the picture.

The other pictures are from the USS Shiloh out of San Diego. I believe the picture of John on the ship was probably on it's way in to port after the 10 month (war) deployment. The others are pictures we've found in newspapers and online of the day they returned.

4 comments:

  1. You have so much to be proud of! I am so thankful for anyone willing to step and defend our freedoms in this country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! We attended a Veteran's Day Parade on Saturday. I am VERY grateful for all those who have fought or ARE fighting for my freedoms. Double pay probably doesn't cover it. These people are heroes in my eyes!
    So thank your husband for me, ok?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those all all such great pictures. I love the one with you and John! Thank John for serving our country along with all the other great veterans!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That brought tears to my eyes. Thank your husband for me. With out men like that our country would be going no where!

    Thank You!!!!!

    PS I am now following you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I'll try to return the favor.

Slideshow