Saturday, May 11, 2013

Embryo Transfer Update 2nd try #4journey #surrogacy

Hello. We had our embryo transfer yesterday. I would have updated last night but I was on bedrest (still am) and hubby never brought me my laptop. LOL.

First of all, I've been taking Baby Aspirin and Prenatal Vitamins for a few weeks. I started Estrogen patches about 2 weeks ago.

I started Progesterone (PIO) shots Sunday. I did them all by myself. It wasn't my first time, but the first time in about 5 years!!

For good luck I got a manicure and pedicure from my friend on Tuesday. I had her paint my nails and toes purple and green for good luck. (Green is supposed to be a lucky fertility color. Purple is just my favorite color and a happy, magical, spiritual color. It also represents peace of mind.)

I also colored my hair green and purple.

Thursday morning hubby and I hopped on a plane. I wore my "on my way to the transfer" shirt.


I was having some anxiety because hubby and I weren't able to get seats together on the plane. We were at least able to be in the same row. I was hoping that someone would switch seats with us.
When we were at the gate ready to board my name was called. They got us seats together without me having to ask. The lady that helped us had the same name as Amazing Grace. *not her real name* 
I wondered if maybe Amazing Grace had called the airline.

We were so excited to sit together!

When we landed it took forever for the rental car shuttle, but finally we were on our way to meet a surro friend for lunch. I knew her online, but this was the first time meeting her in person.

She was adorable! So sweet and easy to talk to and lunch was delicious. I was excited when she gave me a hug. You never know what people will be like in person. What's cool is, not only is she a surrogate too, but she also wrote a book about surrogacy. (like me) It wasn't a children's book, but it's a great book!!! I reviewed it awhile back on here. She also runs an agency.

Time to check into the hotel.
As we're standing in line to check in I spotted something behind the counter...

Do you see what I see? Check this link to see why it made me smile and laugh-

We upgraded to a Jacuzzi suite for the first night. (After the embryo transfer and throughout the pregnancy I cannot take baths or play in Jacuzzi's)
I thought this is going to be so nice after my shot! 

Very nice!!

Ready for bed the night before the transfer.

 Yay, it's transfer morning! Eating my lucky, yummy pineapple. It's supposed to help with implantation.
Then we went down to the lobby and ate a waffle breakfast.

Beautiful morning view from the hotel!

John colored his hair green. (we found a funky kit at Target) He is wearing our lucky transfer shirt. The cute Kokopelli guy is a Fertility God.

I had to empty my bladder and then fill it up.

After about 10-15 minutes, Amazing Grace and I were taken back to the recovery area where I got into my lovely gown and was given a Valium. Then when they were ready for us, I was wheeled into the operating room. (not that it's an operation, but it IS a procedure)

I didn't think the Valium had really kicked in yet, but this picture proves it had. LOL. Amazing Grace had found some purple and green beads for both of us to wear. (She borrowed them from Spunky Monkey... Shhh!)

About 10 minutes later Big Daddy and my husband were brought in.

That's when they filled us in about the embryos.

2 embryos were thawed the day before the transfer. (Thursday) They didn't make it.  :-(
So 3 more were thawed this morning. (Friday) Actually I think one was thawed the day before and was in addition to the 2, so one DID make it. Now we had 3 and 2 out of 3 were good. (As far as I understood) 1 blast (blastocyst), 2 early blasts. We transferred all 3. I believe there was some assisted hatching as well with the early blasts so they can attach better. Cool! We were also told that they had a better chance of becoming full blasts in my natural incubator. Yay! Sounds good to me.

I was told to bring some warm, comfy socks. I wanted to find green fuzzy socks and I found green AND purple. They are aloe infused and SO comfy!!!

The Dr. checked my bladder and wanted it fuller. By the time he was comfortable with how full it was, I was super uncomfortable.

Into position....
The transfer itself was kind of awkward. There were some uncomfortable (physical) moments where I didn't know what the heck the Dr. was doing. I didn't know what was going on the whole time. I've never had a bad transfer experience, and I don't want to say it was bad, just awkward.

Amazing Grace was sweet and put her hand on my shoulder. After a while, I held her hand. Hopefully she didn't mind.

Then after what seemed like forever the Dr. showed us on the ultrasound this bright light of fluid where the embryos were. I didn't know they had been transferred.

I had to stay laying down for 30 minutes. I had to pee SO BAD! Worse than any other embryo transfer.

Finally I was able to get up and pee. Wow, was my bladder full!! I changed back into my clothes and they wheeled me out in a wheelchair.

We were all starving. My husband had noticed a Dickey's truck earlier so we looked it up. We love that place and decided to introduce Amazing Grace to it. She loved it! I got pulled pork, waffle fries and potato casserole. Yum! (supposedly fries are lucky to eat after the transfer and may also help with implantation.

We came back to the room and ate.

 I was pretty tired and soon fell asleep. I slept for about 3-4 hours.

Hubby picked up Smashburger for dinner. Love that place too.

Time to get ready for bed and into my lucky transfer jammies.

Johnny gave me my shot.

John woke up at 6:30 this morning, which woke me up too. He went downstairs to get us breakfast. Can't complain about breakfast in bed.

Today (Saturday) Hubby went to get ice cream and a movie and an ice cream cake for Amazing Grace and I for Mother's Day! 

Crossing our fingers that at least one of these lovely embryos sticks around for the next 9-10 months!


  1. Sticky Sticky!! I hope everything works!! When are BETAs and will you be doing HPTs?
    Hope at least one is snuggling in!!


    1. Thanks Crystal. I think beta will be May 21. I may test later this week.


  3. Good luck!!!! Loved all the pics and the personalized shirts :)

    1. Thanks Krystal. I ordered the shirts just in time. I realized hubby didn't get a pic of the shirt I wore home.
      I will have to wear it this week and post a picture. Maybe with a pg test.

  4. Thank you for sharing your journey with a lot of pictures. Thinking good thoughts

  5. Thank you for sharing your journey with us, love the pictures

  6. Your blog is really interesting. I've never read anything like what you are going through before. Thanks for sharing.


Thank you for your comments! I'll try to return the favor.